Featured Post

Invest in Yourself | Going Back to Herbal | Tired all Day vs Coconut Oil

Ok. This topic goes back to the laziness that has been going on in my life.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

How to Pass A Dream Job Interview? Lessons learned!


My story!



Right after college, I didn’t know what work I want. I just have this simple idea in mind that I have to work (I don’t have any goals at all back then which I regret now). I followed suggestions from my parents to where should I get a job. On other times I tried following my guts and apply for something I thought I want, up to the point where I tried going abroad. (Read my previous post OFW experience post here)


Making the story short, I have a lot of work experience that really didn’t work out for me. Some I hated but these worst experiences taught me to somehow realize what I really wanted in my life! (So it is not a waste all throughout after all)



Tips from a Pro on How to Pass Your Dream Job


(LMAO I call myself a pro, sorry for the term, I am a bit confident because trust me I’ve been there in one way or another.)


1.      Know Your Goals
2.     Discover Your Strength
3.     Nurture Your Skills/Knowledge
4.     Practice Makes Perfect

5.     Don’t forget your passion/hobby
6.     Know that you will get there



Know Your Goals- I included this one because I wanted to make sure that this “dream job” you want is absolutely what you wanted. It should not be justified by the feeling but it should be something you decided upon and nothing can tell you or can persuade you to chose otherwise(suggestions from loved ones are still good because for sure they want the best for you but sometimes what they think what is best for you might not bring out all your potential).





UP CAREER Related Post
• How to Stop Day Dreaming in 2018 || Reach Your Goals
              • Where to Invest Your Money? Is it Worth It to Invest in Yourself?



How did I know what I wanted in life?


I learned it from my previous experiences! The truth of what the quote says, “Experience is the best teacher”.

Over the years, because of previous work experiences, I learned the things that I don’t like.

• First, I don’t like a forced conversion to anyone. In sales, you are always obliged to bring up a topic that would highlight your product thus means a closed deal for you!
Second, I don’t like the idea of living in a small room with all other people around you, with the dirtiest kitchen you can ever imagine.

• Third, felt really guilty for not being able to provide well for my parents especially now they are getting old. I want to provide for them so they can able to do the things they love.

• Fourth, I hated that I cannot provide for my hobbies and not be able to travel for leisure at this time of my life. I did regret a little bit that I did not plan for my finances earlier.


Having said all these things, the reverse of it is what I wanted in life.


Let me go back to “Dream Job”. My dream job would be all the things that will do the exact opposite of what I hated.


That means…


In career, I don’t want to get a job that will require a lot of interact actions with people. That is one thing I really love about the job I am presently in (click here if you want to be referred to Sykes BPO/Call Center Back Office PostJ).


I also need something that can sustain the lifestyle I choose and on the side of it, I need capabilities to provide for my parents.


It is a simple goal actually.


Discover Your Strength


One part of getting your dream job is to actually discover your strength. Like for me in relation to not being a talkative person (maboka in Filipino), I like to do things on my own. So I am really looking for a clerical job with little to no direct supervision. I am also interested in some parts of accounting (just a little I know since the beginning that I don’t like a lot of math).


Nurture Your Skills/Knowledge

Since I wanted a back office position there are skills I needed to improve. That is my typing speed. I did a post back then on how to improve your typing speed from 25wpm to 45wpm with 98% accuracy. Surprisingly taking a typing test is like a game for me and it is pretty much an enjoyable experience (read here for my tips on how to improve your typing skills).

Also, I did enrol for a short training related to a software for accounting. At first, it was a bit of a disappointment because I spend money on it and my application to a certain job post is not successful. But I still put it on my resume just in case it might give me an advantage.

Both of these skills/ training you attended to will give you an added confidence in passing your interview. For the simple reason that you can actually do the job.


Practice Makes Perfect

Improving my typing speed did not happen overnight. I spent more than a month to actually see the result. Routine has been the greatest contributor to my typing speed; just give time for it the same thing that you give time in looking at your Facebook Feeds. And to any kind of skills you wanted to improve, I am sure the same thing applies. Make time, every day if possible and practice it!


In able to pass a job interview make sure you do not fake any skills you put on your resume. I did that once and the result is never good. It turned out that I don’t like the job after all. So put the skills that you are actually confident about.


Don’t Forget your Passion/Hobby


I am the type of person that values hobby the same manner that I value my job. If I tend to just focus on my job, I get burned out. Finding time to do what I love makes me really happy and productive! It helps me a lot with mindsetting, that passing an interview is not what your world is all about. You still have a lot of things to do. Things that matter to you so don’t stress yourself in passing your dream job. Having hobby or passion is an added point to the certain job too. Like blogging, they get a hint that you’re writing skills are good which can be used in the business setting like business correspondence (aka writing emails etc.).


Know That You Will Get There

Building confidence will sure to follow when you have all the skills necessary when attending for your dream job interview. Knowing that you will pass an interview means you are well prepared and equipped with the right education, experience and training. 



Final Thoughts


I am always nervous for an interview. And there comes to a point that I get really frustrated because I badly need a job. After being in a difficult situation, I learned that getting your dream job/passing an interview shouldn’t be that hard after all. Once you choose a career path, develop your skills, increase your knowledge and passing your dream job interview will not be as difficult as you thought it is.


That’s it!


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that landing a dream job is not a walk on the park, unless, may mga award ka sa school like cum laude and what not. Nasa point din ako ng life ko ngayon na parang shocks di pa ako nakakapagtravel goals sa madaming lugar kapag nakikita ko yung mga feeds ng mga friends ko sa FB. Haha. Don't get me wrong di nman ako naiinggit pero nag aassume din naman ako na sana magawa ko mga ganun mga bagay kaso mas binibigyan ko importansya now is makapag-ipon and invest. Siguro I have to wait for a while before ako magtravel pero soon mangyayari din yun. Tiwala lang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️❤️ I love the idea that you are focusing on savings!!! Sa mga nabasa kong blogs, delayed gratification is worth it!!! Lalo na na nagiivest ka👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
      Thanks for commenting!!!

      Delete

Would love to hear and interact with my readers.

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-104883034-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');