Featured Post

Invest in Yourself | Going Back to Herbal | Tired all Day vs Coconut Oil

Ok. This topic goes back to the laziness that has been going on in my life.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Where to Invest Your Money? Is It Worth It to Invest in Yourself?


I recently heard this Invest in Yourself from Savings Pinay on her Youtube Channel (I know been stalking her a lot because she is so inspiring). 

She actually stated a couple of things and one includes “investing in yourself” and this post will focus mainly on it.

On saving, I often hear to avoid buying things that you really don’t need. That can be clothes, a new phone or a new laptop, make-up and all other stuff.


In my case, out of frustration from a certain goal (that includes saving/ reaching financial goals) I normally tend to buy things that I don’t really need.



Please keep reading…


I came to realize that I don’t have to treat my occasional splurge as technically a “waste of money” but instead I should treat it as investing in myself.



Let me explain further..



I am the type of person that is indecisive with regards to money/finances in general. Not until last two years ago that I take saving seriously. As in very seriously, I guess having a Main Goal in life will definitely erase any indecisiveness and eventually will be the starting point for reaching financial goals. 



So how do I come up with a Goal when I am too indecisive?


ᨆᨆᨆ This part is where my indecisiveness comes inᨆᨆᨆ

I am a little bit of a late bloomer so I recently just discovered or still trying to find out what are the things I love the most.


Investing in Yourself First can actually be a good outlet to bring out your potential/talent/skill/knowledge.




Let me list down the mistakes I made with regards to finances right after having my first job.

1.       Zero Goal- since I was really young I really don’t have anything intended to do with my money, I spent it as just come and go. It is actually odd that I am not aware of handling my finances where in fact I came from a not so well-off family and the fact that I studied Business in College.


2.     Focused on Having a High-Paying Job- I always hear and I am somehow accustomed to the idea that my first job is just a stepping stone. Take whatever job now and jump into a better job in the future. Really our mindset is just to have “job” and you will live happily. There is nothing wrong with it actually but apparently the reality for us low-income earners this can be a bit challenging.



Number one for me took the most time ever of my life. I wouldn’t really have a goal if I haven’t experienced the worst of life that can offer. When I finally knew what I don’t like, that is the time I know I have to do something to not experience that again. That basically started my inner desire to achieve the “Can Buy Anything Stage”.


Please read my Previous Post: My Fair Share of Sacrifice as an Overseas Filipino Worker


3.     Treating my Creative Side as Unimportant- I think part of knowing yourself is nurturing any kind of interest you may have. It can be creative or not. In my case, I am interested in a lot of things. I have interest in cooking, dressing up, writing, conversational English, knitting, gardening, make-up and all other stuff that I might forget to include here.


ᨆᨆᨆ a reminisceᨆᨆᨆ
  
A lot of times at home when I try out new things connected to any of these interest, I often hear my parents that these are just a waste of money and time. But actually, as I ponder it right now I believe these are all important stage that everyone should do at some point in their life, especially those who are indecisive ones like me. 


Example:
One hobby of mine is writing this blog. I am still far from successful to it but I really dont mind, I love writing and I don’t mind spending time and money on it. 

I did some writing back then and at that time I just write it down in a notebook (remembering it makes me smile especially when I attempted to write a Pocketbook story LOL). Those are all good and happy memories and that is what I think lessens the indecisiveness when it comes to what you want to do in life, “Invest in Yourself to Know What It Is.


Investing in yourself (meaning nurturing your interest/hobby) will definitely become a starting point of knowing what you want to be in the future.


• You can be creating a game – so at the beginning, you might be fond of upgrading parts of your computer.

• You can be a writer – so you save money to buy a new laptop.

•You can be a make-up artist – so you hoard all new make-up brands available and so on.



At some point, especially if you don’t have many resources to buy this stuff you may think of it as a waste of money. But as I’ve said in the very beginning of this post this can be treated as “investing in yourself”.


I am actually doing it right now, I might be a little bit late but I think this is still doable. Also, I like to add that these hobbies of mine gave me a sense of identity and a bit of pride (I take pride in my little accomplishment on writing this blog :)). 


Making the story short, invest in your interest/hobby. Save money to buy a computer, make-up, an oven, seeds, DIY tools, new clothes or just about anything. Try it out and your passion may be one opportunity to generate money from in the future. If not, what else to loose if this hobby of yours' makes you happy. (you cant buy happiness as an old saying goes)


I also like to add that these simple things I buy for myself creates a good self-worth and that can be a good thing in building confidence.


But don’t forget as well, after you invested in your interest you should not be stagnant and continue on with saving money and do so many ways out there available to grow your money.

Don’t stop on investing in yourself. Emergency fund/ small business fund, investment fund, retirement fund, travel fund can all be equally important and can be prioritized all at the same time.


I somehow mentioned this idea in my last Inspire me to Save post please click here to check it out.


Recap: What does Investing in Yourself Do?

Investing in Yourself will give you money to supply your hobbies/interest. And hopefully, that will help you know what you really want in life and eventually will establish a Financial Goal if you haven’t figured that out yet.


• Investing in Yourself will increase your self-worth hence will boost your confidence to pursue just about anything.


• Investing in Yourself will simply make you happy and no money is wasted when you are generally happy with your life.


That’s it…


Hope this “all over the place post” make sense. This post mainly reflects what is going on with my life and I hope if you are just like me who is very indecisive, finding out your GOAL early will make a huge difference. So try to do everything to know what that is as fast as you could. I have a question in the title that I almost forgot to answer. Is it worth it to invest in yourself?  The answer is Yes.


Let me put this quote again, I think there is a proper quote for this I just couldn’t find it on the internet. I just made up the one below;


When I finally knew what I don’t like, that is the time I know I have to do something to not experience that again.



So, go out there and establish your Goal. Try out all things that interest you. Lastly, be firm with a financial goal and make sure you achieve it.


Thanks for reading all the way..

Hand Picked Post from Up Career






2 comments:

  1. I'm also someone who is very indecisive and I'm afraid to take risks so I always weigh the options first (but in a very time-consuming manner because I over analyze), which makes making decisions even longer. Although I'm pretty lucky that I was able to find out what interests me during the early years of my life. And I agree with what you said in this post (although I've been investing on myself too much lately). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you!!!

    Hope younger generations are like you who has a clear goal in mind...

    Learn from my mistakes guys.... LOL... really no joke. get something good out of my mistakes:)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear and interact with my readers.

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-104883034-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');