Featured Post

Invest in Yourself | Going Back to Herbal | Tired all Day vs Coconut Oil

Ok. This topic goes back to the laziness that has been going on in my life.

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Fake It Till You Make It- My Take on Popular Self Help Quote


Have you ever use the quote ‘fake it till you make it’ on challenging situations you face on career or self-image?

This quote is so popular back then, that I made this my personal chant inside my head whenever I needed to succeed on something.

But does fake it till you make it works?

True or Not?

I don’t know about you, but my take on ‘fake it till you make it’ is something that you would pretend to be an expert about.

That if you pretend just long enough, you will eventually learn the trade and make it through and eventually be as an expert.

Job Interviews

When I first entered the adult world, right after graduation, I felt like everyone else and that is to get a job fast.

The pressure is on.

So on interviews, most of the time I ‘fake it till I make it’.

On job experiences that was required of work, I just try to connect them the the job I did on OJT’s.

But in reality, my on-the-job trainings are merely photocopying errands and typing jobs.

My Reality About Fake it Till You Make It

I had pretty much bad experience about faking a lot of things especially when getting a job.

Because I pretty much don’t reach the point of ‘making it’. I am stuck to just faking it.

Which is a bummer because it caused a lot doubt and stress to myself.

What Should I Do to Succeed?

This too is one question I am trying to figure out myself.

I recently saw a content creator who share his two cents on how did he become successful in life.

And it totally struck me to my core because its just plain simple and to top it off, I think he has the best career advice even if he is not a motivational speaker.

I have read countless motivational speeches and book and none of it are direct to the point just like this Youtube creator.

Rant About Self Help Books

All what self help books do to you is just move you with their story and tell you your right and everyone’s else opinion are wrong.

Like, work in silence and let your success make a noise.

What was that about? Would you like to live your life like you are avenging everyone who belittles you?

Anyway..

None of the self help books/ motivational speaker really tells you how you can succeed on your own career path.

Yes you may copy them, exactly how they do it, but lets be real here, we all come from different backgrounds and circumstances might differ between my life and the life of that motivational speaker so things cannot be copied exactly as it is.

I still do admire some notable people like Roberto Kiyosaki, I just love his advice about ‘do not be afraid to fail when trying out things you like, value the lessons and don’t treat failing as failure but just learning experiences’ and if you want to be writer, then don’t work on a market where in you cannot practice what you like. (those are definitely not Roberto Kiyosaki’s exact words but these are just what imprints my mind about the stories he told on his book Rich Dad Poor Dad)

Back to what is better than ‘fake it till you make it’, here are the list of things that WheezyWaiter did to achieve his goals. (look him up on Youtube)

1.       Learn Stuff
2.     The $20 Rule
3.     Do the Job Before you Have It

What really struck me is the second and last one.

Let me begin with ‘do the job before you have it’, it just makes sense when he said that employers are hiring people who has job experiences but how can you able to have experiences if you just graduated right. (following the fake it till you make it quotes, it did not really end well with me so… I am not sure if it just me but when an employer is requiring experience some resort to fake it till you make it)

But the advice, do the job before you have it, is like learning on your own and having an experience without actually having the job itself.

Just like Wheezy Waiter did when he wanted to an editing job, he made videos on Youtube and posted them.

Then people he know, sees him as a person who makes videos and start referring him to companies who needed his skills on editing videos.

I don’t know if I am just stupid, but I just happen to realize that it is simple as making a portfolio.

Like make-up artist do, they take pictures of their work, some are free some are paid low, just to fill up their binder with pictures so people can see their talent.

And that is pretty much how you can get more clients.

Do the job before you have it… brilliant!

His second advice is the $20 dollar rule, this is pretty much is about having enough money to buy tools he need to edit videos.

So what he did is follow his father’s advice to save 20 dollars when he gets his paycheck from waiting tables.

With this rule he is able to buy a computer so he can start doing the job before he have it.

Brilliant.

It doesn’t have to be the 20 dollar rule in my opinion, I think the main point here it to save money.

Save money and have the liberty to buy things you need to start the things that you like.

Final Thoughts

Faking it till you make it or do the job before you have it.

I think I am going to try the latter.

That is it.

Did you find this post helpful?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear and interact with my readers.

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-104883034-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');